Causes of malnutrition
Malnutrition is caused by the body not receiving all the nutrients it needs as part of a healthy diet. This can happen because of a poor diet, lack of appetite or issues with the body absorbing nutrients from food. Malnutrition can be caused by many different factors.
• Any conditions that cause long term loss of appetite such as sickness bugs, cancer, liver disease and some lung conditions such as COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
• Dementia is a condition that can cause the person to forget to eat
• Conditions that affect the digestive systems ability to absorb nutrients such as Ulcerative Colitis and Chron’s disease.
• Conditions that affect your mood and willingness to eat such as schizophrenia and depression
• Eating disorders such as Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia
If your body has a need for increased energy and protein such as healing after surgery or a serious injury this can also cause malnourishment due to difficulty meeting these increased needs.
Physical and Social Factors
• Poor fitting dentures or painful teeth
• Low income, especially for older adults living on a pension
• Alcohol or drug addiction
• Physical disability or other issues that affect a person’s mobility making it more difficult to cook and get to the shops
• Being socially isolated
• Limited knowledge of nutrition and cooking
Some medicines can cause unwanted side effects such as nausea and loss of appetite which can mean you eat less and your body does not get the nutrition it needs to stay healthy.
At Wiltshire Farm Foods we have a solution for people at risk of malnutrition. Our Mini Meals Extra may help you or your loved one eat more easily. The meals are a smaller 275g portion but are packed with at least 500 calories and 20g of protein per portion to make it easier to get the nutrition you need even if you have a reduced appetite.
View our Mini Meals Extra range
Our range developed for those at risk of malnutrition.Mini Meals Extra
Order a FREE Brochure
Request a free brochure to browse all of our Specialist Nutrition meal ranges:
Main brochure - includes all of our delicious meals. You will be able to find our Specialist Nutrition ranges in their own section at the back.
Softer Foods brochure - includes our range of meals for those with swallowing difficulties.Request a brochure